The Rebuild

The Eastern rebuild was going to be a simple fix, replace the internal leaking, under floor mounted, gas tank and fix a small spongy spot in the floor.  Upon cutting into the floor it very quickly turned into much more.  This boat was made very cheaply and hacked together with scraps and inferior NON marine products by the factory, no marine lumber here, cdx plywood and pine untreated framing 2x4's.  From scrap wood, pine framing lumber, car mats, nails and poor construction, along with the lack of a bilge pump and drain plug turned everything into major rot factory.  The boat is a 22' Eastern, 1988 vintage, and there was only 1 owner before Tunuts (a family member) and is 100% original.  No modification, changes or additions have ever been made to the boat from the day it left the factory, heck not even a dang cup holder, in fact the motor that came with the boat when new, a 115 Merc of the same vintage, had the original spark plugs and has no more the 200 hours total. 

Fuel Tank Update

A new fuel tank was ordered by Tunuts through Eastern themselves, in the beginning of December.  Last week it came in at Eastern but they said we could not buy it now because they had none in stock and they just got an order for a boat.  They informed us they would order us another one that would take another month or more to come in.  This is as bad as customer service can get!  The order was canceled and we ordered a tank through another dealer and it is expected to arrive in less then 3 days.  It's a good thing we had the common sense to have Eastern order us a new tank before we needed it, because they would not have had one in stock for themselves, something does not sound quite right when you do not carry any inventory of a custom item like this.

The 115 Mercury Motor

The motor has been gone through, all fuel lines have been changed to ethanol safe lines, the carburetors have been gone through along with all filters on the motor.  The lower end has been removed and the water pump has been replaced along with all seals in the entire lower end.  The trim cylinders have been fixed as their seals were also leaking.  New sparkplugs and a new ignition pack was installed as only 2 cylinders were showing spark when tested.  The lower end is still off at the moment because we are waiting to hook up the controls up first so the shift linkage can be set properly.

Please note that when this boat was originally "built" the Eastern boat company was owned and run by different owners then they currently have.  The new Eastern boats are completely different and the build quality is far superior, so we were told.  Remember this boat was slapped together 23+ years ago.

All photos were taken with android cell phones on the spot and at the time of discovery, that is after we stopped laughing and shaking our heads. (if you notice weird colors on some images it is from a heater we were using to help cure some areas)


Tunuts on Launch day.

Tunuts and wineguy on launch day.
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

 

All Righty Then!

 

                       

           

 

 

There have been visitors since Dec. 04 2011

 

Copyright 2010 - 2013 Skull & Bones Fishing Club All rights reserved

Last Updated:

a Tunut's Production.